Position Title: Web Developer (Front-end)
Department: Product Development (R&D)
Functional team: Web Application Development
Number of Positions: 1
Reports to: Development Lead / Technical Lead on technical matters.
Director of Product Management & Strategy – Line Manager.
Location: Sydney, Australia
Primary Purpose of Position
Innovit’s products have traditionally been developed in Java and Swing as a “rich” Windows applications. We have committed to transitioning to a thin, interactive HTML UI as part of modernizing our product suite and migration to a full public cloud architecture.
As a specialist front-end developer, you will be responsible for designing and developing the next generation of Innovit’s cloud-based software products. You will embrace contemporary web development best practices with strong experience on front-end development methodologies. Solid experience designing and writing front-end applications is essential. Having a good understanding of Angular5 technology stack (or later), and REST and/or SOAP APIs for back-end integration will be ideally suited for this role.
Certification or experience with Scrum methodologies is highly desirable.
The successful applicant will be an articulate communicator, good documenter, who is also willing to work with end-users by performing technical support services from time to time. We believe that interacting with users in this way enables our development team to better understand customer requirements and anticipate market needs. This role is part of Innovit’s Innovation team working on new product development, and prototyping of new concepts for full implementation by our Engineering team that is based in Australia.
Key Position Objectives and Responsibilities
- Work with Development leads to design, develop and document Innovit software features
- Produce high-level and detailed design documentation
- Undertake technical research including evaluation of new software, tools and techniques
- Maintain a working knowledge of web development tools and frameworks used
- Hands-on application development
- Thorough unit and integration testing of all code developed
- Perform regular code reviews to ensure the high quality of code delivered
- Maintain existing system / technical documentation and create new content where applicable.
- 8-10 years experience developing web-based commercial web applications with strong front-end experience
- At least 5 years experience designing architecture of commercial web‑based products
- Proven experience with development, configuration and deployment to the J2EE application server e.g. JBOSS, Wildfly
- Experience working with Waterfall and Scrum Methodologies
- Experience developing for large scale real-time 24×7 systems
- Strong demonstrable skills in developing web applications using technologies like Angular 5 with TypeScript for building web‑based UI on the front-end and integrating with REST and Java/J2EE technologies at the back-end
- Sound understanding of alternate application architectures, development and testing methodologies.
- A working knowledge of Application Support practices.
- Knowledge of Enterprise application design patterns and industry best practices
- Proven working knowledge of build systems e.g. Maven
Work Output and Organisation
- A strong team player who demonstrates flexibility and a proactiveness to deliver a key business project
- The ability to operate independently, to be proactive, and able to interact with stakeholders across all levels.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Fantastic English communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong people skills including communications and expectations management
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and accurately while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to predict or detect problems in the area of responsibility
- Ability to generate innovative and effective solutions to problems.
Interpersonal and Teamwork
- Ability to work productively with other staff
- Ability to maintain particular sensitivity and tact when dealing with external parties/customers.
- Ability to communicate effectively when speaking with individuals and groups
- Ability to negotiate solutions with parties outside one’s department.
- University degree in computer science, software engineering or a related study.